Sunday 28 July 2013

Site update and Lessons!


Well today has proved somewhat productive it seems, my site is nearing the upload stage and I keep going over the most mi-nute of details. I have a sort of hindsight you might say, so far I have been using my usual browser to test my site and so far everything has been dandy. Now a regular kind of Joe might just have easily uploaded the site seeing everything was fine and not thought about one important factor cross browser platform compatibility.

Simply put what this means and more importantly what I recognise is that even though my site works fine on my browser doesn't for one minute mean to say it’s going to work on all of the other browser variants of which there are many. I have the latest version of Internet explorer installed currently at version 10, and upon testing it seemed that the contact and blog pages once entered would load slower than other pages and browser as well as rendering the rest of the sites functionality and navigation useless.

I narrowed down the problem to make sure it wasn't just a problem with the embedded objects on those pages and to some extent I guess you could say it was. On the contact’s page I have an embedded map and contact form which I removed and then tested however the page itself still did the same, a simple deduction then it was not those elements, easiest thing to do was to load a page similar that did work remove all unnecessary page items and replace my embedded objects on that page before re-saving, sure enough it now works hunky dory.

The blog was a weird one it appeared that when it did load ion internet explorer that an error message popped up stating that “http this is addme 5”  etc, etc was not found on this server, I then proceeded to check through my code and sure enough there was this exact piece of code in the middle of things, IO have no idea how it manifested itself there though as it was nowhere near the embedded blog, I pretty much used the same trick as in the contact page to rectify the problem.

I have now tested on 6 different browsers with 100% effectiveness, this ensures that the website can be viewed by as broad an audience as possible while having code which is well written and efficient without error. 

Its times like these when I put so much work into my projects that I hold my head up high to those who laughed at the amount of effort I put into my work during my college days going beyond the call of duty, I believe as one of my former lecturers kept reiterating to me "You need to show an in-depth understanding" something I have remembered to this day, I may be creating a website but there are a lot of elements in play both on the server customization side and on the user's side. god I feel like I’m writing my memoirs at 1am in the morning, hope you've enjoyed reading into this fabulous insight this is Jonathan Cullen signing off for the night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment