Friday 14 June 2013

My Views on IOS 7

So just caught up with the new IOS 7 preview coming this fall, my initial thought was I'm not sure if I like it, maybe I have become too attached to my current U.I. (User Interface) however, but I think the icons look pretty nice now, still I have to applaud Apple for moving foreword with their new software.


I say that because what Apple have done is re-design the system and what it means to own an I-phone, but they have done this at system software level. What I mean by this is Apple unlike their direct competitor of the Android Operating System is that instead of designing new software and a new phone to showcase it off with an ever shortening list of flavours of Ice cream and such, and disallowing older Android models an upgrade option.

Apple have kept simplicity simple, there only ever exists one version of their O.S., and they allow their existing hardware to be upgraded internally, creating a brand new experience. Unlike Android which are constantly creating a new version of their operating system as stated previous and creating a completely new hardware model to market it.

You could also see this in a greener light as well as it allows a whole new array of features without the need to upgrade from your current contract, or buy a new phone to experience the latest technolgy.


Sure it seems that Apple are looking at what others are doing by adding Animation into their screens, which is what a lot of users want, but again it works across all existing IOS enabled hardware models, including the Ipod, Iphone and Ipad range, all with the same look and feel without any physical upgrades all utilising their current hardware is truly amazing.



The lock screen has also had a little makeover using an animation technique usually found on the Android OS. Every screen has a translucent feel to it which adds to the clan friendly user interface making interacting with an IOS device more fluid, fun and friendly.

The control centre further simplifies things for the user by being swiped upwards from any screen, which then shows you easy access to various options and controls. It is great to see that Apple can encompass all users of their IOS software and further increase the longevity of devices, while developing the new Iphone and Ipad range for example, this has been a strong point of Apple, allowing users like myself to continue using my Iphone 4 and Ipad 1 without needing to upgrade to a new hardware model in order to receive the new features.


When IOS 7 does land I think I will make the transition to the new IOS offering, sure I love the way my phone looks and feels, but I guess you have to sacrifice some things in order to move forward embrace new experiences, after all technology stands still for no-one, all in all I will say I'm rather pleased and impressed.




0 comments:

Post a Comment